This seascape is a great Alzheimer’s art activity to do one-on-one
or with a group! Most people have very happy associations with
the ocean! There aren’t a lot of supplies to purchase and it is a
great project for varied skill levels.
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED:
- 12 x 12″ SCRAPBOOK PAPER: 1 light blue and 1 sand colored
- SEVERAL SHEETS OF DARKER BLUE CARD STOCK PAPER (9 1/2″ x 11″ )…
Try to get at least two shades of blue to add interest
- WHITE CARD STOCK: for printing of sailboat / lighthouses
- IMAGE OF SAILBOAT and LIGHTHOUSE: (about 3″ high) I found
the images by Googling “sailboat” and “lighthouse”. I copied and pasted
to a separate page and fit four images easily on each page.
- ELMER’S WASHABLE GLUE
- 1″ FOAM BRUSH- for glue
- SMALLER PAINT BRUSH- for sea foam and clouds
- WHITE ACRYLIC OR WASHABLE PAINT
- GLUE STICK- for prep
- SCISSORS- for prep
1. (PREP STEP) Tear the sand colored 12 x 12 piece of scrapbook paper in half. (As you are tearing, pull the paper upward and apart so that it is a “wavy” tear.) Adhere the half torn piece of sand colored paper to the full sheet of light blue with a glue stick. (NOTE: I find that people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias often have a hard time with glue sticks and things don’t get glued on very well, but they won’t be doing the “prep step” and the glue stick makes everything neater and less heavy and “bubbly”.)
2. (PREP STEP) Tear the darker blue card stock paper into long wavy strips of various sizes.
3.. (PREP STEP) Google “sailboat” and “lighthouse” images. Copy and paste chosen image to a separate page and print out on white card stock (I fit four on a page but it you are careful, you may even fit six. Then cut out the lighthouses/sailboats.
4. Each artist starts with a 12 x 12 piece of scrap book paper- half sand colored/ half light blue (already prepared), darker blue torn paper strips (already prepared), a 1″ foam brush, and glue.
5. Glue the dark blue paper strips onto the middle of the 12 x 12 (half sand
colored/ half light blue) paper to form the “ocean”.
6. Next, glue on the lighthouse and the sailboat. ( Its OK for a sailboat to
float upside down in the sky!! Remember, there is no right or wrong in art!)
7. Last, paint cloud and sea foam details using the white paint and smaller brush.
HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF ARTWORK:
(….by artists of various cognitive and skill levels…)